I know I’ve been AWOL for a month and a half, but I’ve been so busy trying to grow my business, and getting to do a workshop with author and designer Stephanie Kimura (a really delightful woman!), and teaching and getting ready to teach a half-day class at Sew Expo in Novi, MI at the end of September (on the subject of 3-D Quilting Techniques!!), AND studying for my LSAT exams! That’s right… in addition to all the sewing and design stuff I’m doing (and will continue to do), I am applying for law school – with the intent of learning art-related law (intellectual property and small business) so I can help more artists!
Meanwhile, in Stephanie’s workshop we were supposed to make a little eye glass case… well, I decided that instead of folding my fabrics in half, I would leave them full size and make a larger (and for me, much more useful) purse. So I used her kit inside and outside pieces as the front and back of my purse, but then was really stuck on what to do with the inside lining?! I didn’t want to leave it as plain muslin with my seam allowances showing! She had some pretty batiks for sale, but in turquoise, which wasn’t really what I was looking for…. LAZINESS TO THE RESCUE!! I HAPPENED to have a large book of upholstery fabric swatches in my car that I hadn’t gotten around to taking out, and there just HAPPENED to be a Japanese embroidered koi design and complimentary solid in the book!! So I cut those out and got really lucky – the paper backing peeled cleanly off with just a touch of the iron. It left the fabric a little sticky, but since it was the lining, that was ok – it would just hold together better! I also changed the construction of the purse a little, but I’m pretty happy with the results! I will admit, stuffing the fabric into the channels of the snap-top frame was a @#$@% !!! And this is why I don’t make purses….(I say as I work on the design of another purse for a magazine! Though this one DOES NOT use a top frame!)
I haven’t decided yet about straps, beading, and other embellishments, though I do HAPPEN to have some beautiful metal enamel antique-looking cherry blossom buttons which would make a gorgeous embellishment…
But here is the purse in its current state (try not to notice the smudge of dried glue on the red fabric inside where it meets the frame… we put glue in the channels then rammed that fabric up there until it held… it oozed a little…)