Darcy Lewis Design

Adventures in "Good Enough" Design

Archive for the tag “sew expo”

TWO T-SHIRT ALTERATIONS!

I found two adorable shirts at the store, but they were clearanced and not available in my size.  ;(  Nothing for it, I HAD to have them, so I bought with the intent to alter…

 

The red and blue shirt perfectly matches the red feathers!  So I tried on the feather shirt to see where I needed ease.  It was snug but fit ok over the bust, but the body didn’t look good – especially with those elastic-gathered sides (made me look very pregnant!)  I measured the shirt against another shirt I like the fit of (recognize my French knit shirt? 😉  ):

imag5893

So I  cut triangle wedges out of the side of the red shirt (really is pretty symmetrical, just laid out badly). Cutting them out of the sides not only saved the body of the shirt for alteration #2, but meant there was a seam down the actual side, so it looks deliberate, not like an alteration:

imag59041

And sewed them into the feather shirt.  The red shirt is not actually hemmed, so I hemmed it to match the lines on the feather shirt, and I think I need to lengthen the sleeves, which I will do by adding more mesh.  And now I have an adorable shirt that actually fits!! (Though I still suck at selfies 😉   )

IMAG5896[1].jpg

That left me with a cut-up red shirt that needed bigger sides of its own…  I have some beautiful navy cotton eyelet in my shop that I needed to make a sample with for expo anyways, and it blended perfectly with the blue on the red shirt, so… The only caveat is that it’s a woven not a knit, so I had to make sure it’s full enough to compensate.  I based the size for this shirt on a favorite sweatshirt.  Then I cut rectangles (not squares, bc I wanted the shirt to be a little longer in the back than in the front) that were 13″ x 15″.  I hemmed the 2 sides first, then sewed the insets into the shirt, making sure to match up fronts (the selvedge edges with a wider hem), and hemming the red shirt to match the insets.  And now I have a gorgeous shirt that looks like a designer original, which, of course, it is!!!

imag58971

I think I need to hire a photographer 😉

 

What do you think?  Tell me about some of your favorite alterations!

Advertisements

Sew Expo and a Workshop with Stephanie Kimura!!

I know I’ve been AWOL for a month and a half, but I’ve been so busy trying to grow my business, and getting to do a workshop with author and designer Stephanie Kimura (a really delightful woman!), and teaching and getting ready to teach a half-day class at Sew Expo in Novi, MI at the end of September (on the subject of 3-D Quilting Techniques!!), AND studying for my LSAT exams!  That’s right… in addition to all the sewing and design stuff I’m doing (and will continue to do), I am applying for law school – with the intent of learning art-related law (intellectual property and small business) so I can help more artists!

Meanwhile, in Stephanie’s workshop we were supposed to make a little eye glass case… well, I decided that instead of folding my fabrics in half, I would leave them full size and make a larger (and for me, much more useful) purse.  So I used her kit inside and outside pieces as the front and back of my purse, but then was really stuck on what to do with the inside lining?!  I didn’t want to leave it as plain muslin with my seam allowances showing!  She had some pretty batiks for sale, but in turquoise, which wasn’t really what I was looking for…. LAZINESS TO THE RESCUE!!  I HAPPENED to have a large book of upholstery fabric swatches in my car that I hadn’t gotten around to taking out, and there just HAPPENED to be a Japanese embroidered koi design and complimentary solid in the book!!  So I cut those out and got really lucky – the paper backing peeled cleanly off with just a touch of the iron.  It left the fabric a little sticky, but since it was the lining, that was ok – it would just hold together better!  I also changed the construction of the purse a little, but I’m pretty happy with the results!  I will admit, stuffing the fabric into the channels of the snap-top frame was a @#$@% !!!  And this is why I don’t make purses….(I say as I work on the design of another purse for a magazine! Though this one DOES NOT use a top frame!)

I haven’t decided yet about straps, beading, and other embellishments, though I do HAPPEN to have some beautiful metal enamel antique-looking cherry blossom buttons which would make a gorgeous embellishment…

But here is the purse in its current state (try not to notice the smudge of dried glue on the red fabric inside where it meets the frame… we put glue in the channels then rammed that fabric up there until it held… it oozed a little…)

 

Post Navigation