So, I have not been posting much lately because I seem unable to multitask well enough to do that and make things… 😉 So please bear with me as I post in fits and starts. Today I would like to show off my little kimono top. My shop got in this really interesting, very bold, graphic print cotton lawn, and I decided to make something with it as a shop sample. So I took 1 yard of this, plus 1 yard of an eggplant cotton sateen and 2 yards of raspberry cotton sateen and 2 yards of cotton bicolor piping in mauve/lavender.
I used an old Butterick kimono top pattern, 4072 (view B).
I wanted to break up the impact of the graphic a little, so I sent the back and front at an angle – not on the bias, just at an angle I liked on the design. It went together very easily, but the end result was a little surprising: I shortened the sleeves both from shoulder to wrist and the depth of the hang, considerably, and yet the sleeves are humongous. The end result is very voluminous, so if you want to make this, I highly recommend taking careful measurements (something I didn’t bother doing because it was a shop sample). Also, you are supposed to cut 4 of the front band, and I can’t see how that could possibly work – it’s too wide for that! So I cut the 4 out, sewed them all together, then ripped it all out again.
In the end, it’s all right, though I’m not sure I would ever wear it if it was in my closet.