It has been a CRAZY month and I’m looking forward to showing you what I’ve been working on!
Earlier this year, The Baldwin Center, a local community charity, asked me to develop a line of garments for them based on remade clothing. You see, among the many services they offer is a clothes closet where clients in need can pick out clothing they need at little or no cost! Some of the donations they receive, however, are fabulous fabrics but dated styles, or with a spot, or otherwise undesirable to the clients. I was tasked with taking those items and designing several patterns they could use to make a series of garments they could sell for a higher price. The money would be used to fund the charity’s other endeavors, and the plan is that down the road we can also offer training to their clients and set up a little workshop so the garments can be made on-site!
For one of my initial two samples, I started with this beige wool coat from London – it had beautiful designer details, but the lining was shredded and the elbows were worn.
I couldn’t eke out an entire new coat from this, so I paired it with a delightful wool-cashmere blend from my shop and two different sleeve fabrics from my stash and created this stunning beauty:
I reused the back with the original vent, part of the collar, the beautiful pocket flaps, and the cuffs. I added molded resin rose buttons from Italy, and an eggplant flannel-back satin lining. Every coat needs pockets, and, mindful of the pattern needing to be accessible for unskilled sewists, I chose patch pockets. The ribbons swirling over the back and up over one shoulder are an easy and unique touch that adds some lovely drama and interest to the otherwise-plain back.
My second jacket was designed for spring, so I chose a silk Maggy London maxi halter dress with a great floral print. I managed to get the fronts and back out of the skirt, and took the self-spaghetti straps from the halter for the jacket ties. I chose an ivory lace shirt to complement it and barely managed to get the sleeves out of the entire front and back of the shirt. For the facing and cuff bands, I used a sage green Thai silk shantung from my shop.
I had been waiting until the jackets were presented at their annual gala to reveal them, but now that the gala has passed, I am thrilled to share these with you and to say that everyone LOVED them and both garments were snapped up in the fundraising auction.
I’m so honored to have been asked and glad that I could help. I look forward to sharing the rest of the collection with you at a later time.